This is the statement from KFC’s website regarding their Halal Trial in the UK…
At KFC we listen to our customers to help us to evolve our menu and the choices we offer.
For some time, we have received requests to provide halal food in parts of the UK and as a result of this, we are running a halal trial within communities where we anticipate a strong demand for halal products.
We launched the trial in the following stores:
* Accrington – BB5 1W
* Alfreton Road – NG7 5NH
* Arndale FC – M4 3AQ
* Baker Street – W1M 1FH
* Barlow Moor Road – M21 8AU
* Beckton – E6 6LG
* Bethnal Green – E2 0AH
* Blackburn – BB2 3HQ
* Broad Street – RG1 2AP
* Burnley – BB10 1DY
* Burton on Trent, Burton on Trent (Drive Thru) – DE14 1YD
* Cape Hill – B66 4PH
* Chertsey Road, High Street Woking – GU21 5AJ
* Colliers Wood – SW19 2RE
* Collindale – NW9 6LP
* Colne Drive Thru – BB8 9HH
* Court House Green – CV6 7NS
* Croydon Central – CRO 1RY
* Derby, Derby, (Drive Thru) – DE24 8EY
* Dewsbury – WF12 8EF (18th Feb)
* Earls Court – SW5 9RF
* Edge Lane – L13 1AA
* Edgware Road – W2 1EB
* Edmonton – N18 2XA
* Elk Mill, Manchester (Drive Thru) – OL2 5HX
* Festival Heights – ST1 5NZ
* Finsbury Park – N4 2AA
* Forest Gate – E7 8BA
* Gatehead Metro Centre FC – NE11 9YZ
* Govan, Helen Street – G51 3HD
* Halifax, Halifax (Drive Thru) – HX3 6AD
* Halifax, Halifax (Restaurant) – HX1 1HA
* Handsworth – B21 9SU
* Harrow Weald – HA3 6HE
* Heaton Chapel – M19 2RF
* High Wycombe Drive To – HP11 1FY
* Hounslow West – TW4 7DJ
* Hyde Road – M18 7AA
* Junction 27 – WF17 9TB
* Junction 9 – WS10 9QY
* Keighley DT New – BD21 3NJ (18th Feb)
* Kingsheath – B14 7BH
* Lea Bridge Road – E10 7DN
* Leeds Meanwood – LS7 2TT
* Leeds Road – HD1 1AX
* Leicester MSA – LE4 3LH
* Leicester High Street – LE1 4FP
* Leyton Mills – E10 5NH
* London Road, Peterborough (Drive Thru) – PE2 8AR
* Luton – LU3 3LZ
* Manchester Fort – M8 8EP
* Meadowbank – EH7 5TS
* Merry Hill – DY5 1SY
* Newport West – NP20 2NN
* Old Kent Road – SE15 1JS
* Oxford (Express) – OX4 1JJ
* Peacocks, Foodcourt (Woking) – GU21 6GB
* Pollokshaws Road, Glasgow (Drive Thru) – G41 1PS
* Preston Deepdale – PR1 6QY
* Queensmere – SL1 1DG
* Rochdale Kingsway, Manchester (Drive Thru) – OL16 5AF
* Seven Kings – IG3 8RQ
* Sheffield Arena -S9 2DD (18th Feb)
* Sheffield Queens Road – S2 4DL (18th Feb)
* Southall – UB1 1SU
* Stoke Newington – N16 7JD
* Streatham Restaurant – SW16 1PG
* Teesside Park – TS17 7BQ
* Tottenham Court Road – W1P 9PA
* Tottenham Hale – N17 9FR
* Union Street – BS1 3DD
* Upton Park – E13 9AR
* Wembley – HA9 6AH
* Wood Green Restaurant – N22 6DS
We have worked with the Halal Food Authority to understand the requirements involved in supplying and producing halal approved products. We are delighted that the HFA have certified KFC’s products in these stores, and the store environments, as halal. Another key consideration for us was that we were able to ensure that the halal certified chicken would also meet the rigorous animal welfare standards we employ in the UK, and we consulted leading animal welfare groups about this.
We are pleased to say that there will be no compromise to our welfare standards. We continue to insist that our poultry is stunned before slaughter, using a technique called ‘stun-to-stun’. We only buy high quality, Grade A, farm-assured chicken from trustworthy suppliers, who are contractually required to meet or exceed all relevant UK and EU legislation and this will not change. You will find that our food is just as tasty and finger lickin’ good as it has always been!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why have you decided to trial halal in these stores? Feedback from consumers has indicated that there is significant demand for halal food from KFC. We’ve chosen these stores as they are in within areas where we expect demand for halal food from KFC. Wherever possible, we have taken steps to ensure that these restaurants are within a 7 mile radius of a non-halal store in order to cater to all of our customers’ needs.
2. How long will the trial last? The trial is likely to last for a number of months. We will evaluate both customer feedback and the commercial success of the trial to establish whether it is something we will continue with.
3. What does this mean for my store? What will change? There will be no change to the great taste of our products. ‘Halal’ is an Arabic word which simply means ‘permitted’ or ‘allowed’. For our chicken to be halal accredited, a verse is recited from the Koran by an appropriate person at the point of slaughter – nothing else changes. However, because pork products are not halal, bacon will not be served in our halal trial stores.
4. How will I know which restaurants are halal and which are not? See the list of participating stores provided above. Our halal restaurants will also feature the HFA (Halal Food Authority) logo on the door.
5. Why have you chosen my store? We have chosen a small number of stores that are located within areas where we anticipate demand for a halal offer from KFC. However, we are committed to offering our customers choice and there is a non-trial restaurant in close proximity. The restaurant manager will be able to provide you with the address details should you need them.
6. Who will supply your halal chicken for this trial? For our fresh Original Recipe chicken on the bone, we are buying from a reputable supplier who has been audited and accredited by the HFA to ensure that their systems and processes fully comply with halal requirements. We will continue to purchase only high quality, A-Grade farm assured chicken from the same leading suppliers used by Britain’s’ major retailers. All of our suppliers, whether halal or otherwise, are contractually required to meet or exceed all UK and EU legislation on welfare.
7. Does this mean your animal welfare standards have changed? No, not at all. We will always only purchase high quality, Grade A, farm-assured chicken from the same leading suppliers used by Britain’s major retailers. We remain committed to the same animal welfare standards and continue to insist that our poultry is stunned before slaughter, using a technique called ‘stun-to-stun’ – a pain free process that makes the animal insensible to pain and suffering. All our suppliers are contractually required to meet or exceed all relevant UK and EU legislation.
8. Is KFC’s halal chicken stunned before slaughter? Yes, due to our strict animal welfare standards, we insist that all our poultry is stunned before slaughter. Our halal chicken has been accredited by the Halal Food Authority, one of the most widely recognised bodies in the UK and overseas. It allows the use of a technique called ‘stun-to-stun’ – a pain free process that makes the animal insensible to pain and suffering. A verse is also recited from the Koran at the point of slaughter by an appropriate person and the poultry will not come into contact with non-halal meat at any point in the supply chain. The HFA accreditation which is clearly signposted in the participating restaurants allows us to offer halal accredited meat whilst remaining committed to the same animal welfare standards as before, which meet or exceed all relevant UK and EU legislation.
If you have further questions, please call the KFC Customer Careline on 08457 532 532.
Please take a moment to make your views known in the HalalFocus Poll below