Ahmad Ali Al Madani honoured for role in supporting private sector
Dubai: His Highness Shaikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, on Monday presented the Islamic Economy Award to a number of individuals and institutions. The Islamic Economy Award is jointly organised by Thomson Reuters and the Dubai Chamber of Commerce, in collaboration with the Dubai Capital of the Islamic Economy initiative.
Shaikh Mohammad presented Ahmad Ali Al Madani, President of the Islamic Development Bank, with the Lifetime Achievement Award for his key role in supporting the private sector in the Islamic world.
Shaikh Mohammad also announced winners across the 14 categories of the award, which was launched in September. The award aims to acknowledge efforts made by business leaders in innovating the best global solutions that comply with Sharia.
Commenting on the award, Mohammad Abdullah Al Gargawi, Chairman of Shaikh Mohammad’s Executive Office and Chairman of the Higher Committee for the Development of the Islamic Economy Sector, said: “The first edition of the Islamic Economy Award had received a marked success, as a large number of nominations were made for both individuals and institutions active across the various sectors of the Islamic economy. This is testament to the high levels of competition present amongst individuals and institutions whom played a significant role in further developing the Islamic economy.”
The winners list was:
• Islamic Microfinance: Kiva Microfunds, United States
• Halal Food: Saffron Road, US
• Waqf: Awaqf New Zealand, New Zealand
• Family travel: TimeZ5, UAE
• Sukuk: Majid Al Futtaim Group, UAE
• Halal Pharmaceutical and Cosmetics: Tanamera Tropical Spa, Malaysia
• Islamic Insurance: ACR Retakaful Holdings, Bahrain
• Halal Media/ Entertainment: Awakening Worldwide Ltd, Egypt
• Islamic Commercial Banking: CIMB Islamic, Malaysia
• Halal Fashion/ Islamic Art: Peter Sanders Photography, United Kingdom
• Islamic Fund Management: Fajr Capital, Asiya Investments, SEDCO Capital and Saturna Capital
• SME Development: Saudi Economic and Development Company (SEDCO), Saudi Arabia
• Islamic Economy Infrastructure (Research & Education): Ethica Institute of Islamic Finance, UAE
• Islamic Economy Infrastructure (Compliance & Standardisation): Islamic Food and Nutrition Council of America, US