Consumer needs in the Halal sector will be in the spotlight at a major industry event next month.
Professor Joe Regenstein of Cornell University in New York, an expert in halal, kosher and animal welfare, will focus on the subject at the AHDB Beef & Lamb halal seminar on February 22 at the Crowne Plaza in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire.
Dr Phil Hadley, Head of Global Supply Chain Development for AHDB Beef & Lamb, said: “This is a great opportunity for Halal sector representatives to come together and talk through some of the great work being done.
“The Halal market continues to grow, presenting a lot of opportunities for the sheep industry in particular. AHDB is committed to supporting the sector and helping to maximise its potential.”
Other guest speakers will include Awal Fuseni, a PhD student at the University of Bristol, who will discuss the development of alternative stunning technologies, and Jonathan Wilson, Associate Professor of Business and Management, Richmond Business School, who will speak about understanding the Halal consumer. Abdalhamid Evans, from Imarat Consultants and Founder HalalFocus, will look at the current challenges in Halal certification and moves towards global standards.
There will also be an opportunity to find out more about AHDB’s activity in the retail Halal sector from Michael Richardson, AHDB Independent Retailer Sector Manager.
Full details of the event and how to register (free) can be found by clicking here
10:00 Registration and refreshments
10:30 Welcome and introduction from the Chairman, Rizvan Khalid, Board Member AHDB Beef & Lamb
- Dr Jonathan Wilson, Associate Professor of Business and Management, Richmond Business School. ‘Understanding the halal consumer and creating brands to drive sales’
- Awal Fuseni, PhD student, the University of Bristol. ‘The development of alternative stunning technologies and the relationship with halal requirements’
- Abdalhamid Evans, Imarat Consultants. ‘The current challenges in halal certifications/approvals and moves towards global standards’
- Question panel
12:30 Lunch to include traditional halal and stunned halal products
13:30 Afternoon Sessions
- Michael Richardson, Independent Retailer Sector Manager, AHDB. ‘AHDB activity in the retail halal sector’
- Professor Joe Regenstein, Cornell University, New York State, USA. ‘Doing halal right: Meeting consumer needs’
- Dr Phil Hadley, Head of Global Supply Chain Development, AHDB Beef & Lamb. Question Panel and discussion
15:30 Conference Close